Marcy S., age 16, Tennessee

Election day. Up about 8:00. Beautiful morning with white heavy clouds. After breakfast Daddy went down to vote. When he returned (about 10:00), Mom and Dad left on a day’s trip (business) to see how much good the rain had done and if the men could be taken off the towns. In the morning I went over and offered Mrs. Jones my services (ahem!) in taking care of the children, etc. She said she might call on me. After my work I went up and got Helen and Barbey and we delivered tickets. At Tindall’s found out that Miss Catherine is to be married June 12, exactly four years from the day Carolyn (her sister) was married. I do hope we’re invited! 

When we got back I sat out on the front porch and wrote in my diary. At noon I went in and fixed my lunch. Had big meat sandwich, peaches, and muffin. Then I sat out on the porch and read the Journal. Divorce manages to get into almost every magazine story nowadays. Ugh! I don’t think I’ll ever marry — you just can’t be sure how things will turn out. 

Presently Helen came down and then Arthur Burton, George, Helen and I went up to play badminton. It was cloudy. George raced ahead and got the best racket; I got the worst. His selfishness makes me so mad sometimes. If it would have done any good, I would have told him then and there but I will sometime. George and Helen versus A.B. and me. Soon George left (thank goodness!) and Harvey took his place. We didn’t play a game — just pinged. I’m really not so bad as I was last summer. Suddenly it started to sprinkle and we hastily parted. My right arm was quite sore in spots. 

I read some more in the magazine and the rain soon passed over. Barbey on her porch kept calling to me and finally, in desperation, I took the magazine and went up to see what she had been saying. Soon she, Helen, and I were swinging and singing. A lady came to our house for a ticket and I went down. Decided to clean up before going to town with Helen. Just as I was undressing the rain came, accompanied by the wind. It was so lovely and refreshing. After my bath, however, the sun and blue sky appeared and the rain stopped. The new, fresh world was so beautiful. I wore my new green dress. Soon Helen came and we left for town. Went to Mrs. Moore’s with a ticket and down to library to leave some books. 

Helen is mad at me (almost) for even mentioning the hike to Mary and Roberta. They’ve never hiked in their lives and they very seldom walk to town from their house. Then Mary told me that William was afraid he’d be out of place and might not go. When I told Helen that I had led Mary to believe that the Hudsons might go, she was furious and positive that Willie wouldn’t go if they went along. The only thing to do was to go the Princess, find Mary, and assure her that they weren’t going. Oh-oh, I left out something very important. We met Mary and Roberta and found out that they couldn’t go. Helen almost expressed her joy right in front of them. 

After purchasing a graduation card for Lizbeth at the ten-cent store we went to the Princess and the boy let us in. I waited in the lobby while Helen looked for Mary. She finally found her and instead of staying in her seat and watching the picture while Helen explained her mission, Mary (armed with a paper cup of coca-cola) got up and came out in the lobby. We hurriedly told her the glad news and extracted a promise from her to prevail upon William to please go (for Helen’s sake). Then Mary asked Helen to wait outside a minute and she fumbled through her purse, finally bringing forth a little white glass horse pin for me. It was so cute! I didn’t know how to thank her. I was so happy. The sun seemed brighter than ever when we emerged from the theater. The boy at the door thought Mary and I had had a fuss and were making up. 

To White Store and then home. Mom and Dad had not yet returned. I started down to Stevens’s with their tickets and decided to test my “believing power.” Just as I was going down the hill by Bowman’s I turned around and there were Mom and Dad just driving up. Dear Diary, it worked! I was so wondrously happy! Mom had a bad headache, due to winding, bumpy road. She lay down while Dad and I ate supper. I was so afraid we mightn’t go to the movies. 

While supping, I told Dad about our planned hike tomorrow. He advised us not to go (imagine!) on account of danger from snakes, negroes, and chiggers — especially the former. He said he’d been awfully worried the last time we went to the tower. So I rushed up to Helen’s with the bad news of another obstacle and her parents immediately came out and started relating hair-raising snake stories. We decided then and there not to brave the wilds of the mountain although we hadn’t even thought of dangers before. Lover’s Leap was much more tame and therefore less inviting but it seemed the nearest and the safest, so — . I hurried back home to find Mom eating supper. Just barely had time to start the dishes. 

About 7:00 Mom, Dad, and I went down to the Princess. Saw newsreel, nature short, and then Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracey in “Men of Boys’ Town.” In about the middle I had to get up and leave for a few minutes. It was the bestest picture. Spencer Tracey as Father Flanagin, Mickey Rooney as Whitey Marsh, and Bobs Watson as Pee Wee. “Ted” was the crippled boy and “Bohunk” the dog. Parts of it concerning a reform school were terrible. I almost screamed once. It made you love boys so and men like Father Flanagin. I hope I can visit Boy’s Town some day. When the picture was over the election returns were flashed on the screen. J.D. Christmas was ahead. I hope he’s better than his son. Cars were parked everywhere. Quite crowded. Lots of people at movies. Home and to bed after dishes. Loved tonight. Tomorrow — we might go to the beacon.