Marcy S., age 16, Tennessee

Dear Diary — Sunny in morning. Barbey went with me to take Hinky, Dinky, Parlee and Voo up to Mother Lane’s pond. Helen took her yesterday. They will have a wonderful summer and will grow more. It seemed cruel to keep them cooped up in a little bowl. Then I took my big green airplane and some other beloved playthings over to the Jones boys because we never use them anymore. They welcomed all, especially the airplane. 

Before lunch I read three years back in my Diary. It seems so long ago and we had such grand times then. I wish I could live it over again — don’t want to grow up! After lunch (no Daddy) it clouded up. I went to Helen’s for awhile and relieved them of Barbara. Then I went home about 3:00 and cleaned up. While Mother got ready to go to town I went over in George’s front yard and watched him throw his knife at a “target.” Geneva tried it but missed. Finally I persuaded him to let me throw it just once and as I posed to throw a fancy one George exclaimed that I wasn’t holding it right. I paid no attention but let it go and it made a beautiful land in what might have been the bull’s eye. George was quite taken back. 

Presently I went in to see how Mother was coming. She couldn’t decide whether to go or not. It started to rain and Helen came down. George joined us and we sat on my porch and talked of the “good old days,” all about our innumerable fusses and funny happenings and it was so much fun with the rain coming softly down as though it were listening and remembering, too. Mrs. Milburn came to see Mother for a few minutes and when she left, about 4:00, the rain had almost stopped. We reluctantly broke up our happy reminiscing and Helen and I drove to Mrs. Whittacker’s with Mother. 

While Mom went in to see about the goods for her dresses, Helen and I sat in the the car and talked. Suddenly it started to rain again and it just streamed down the car windows. We though we’d wash away. It stopped in a few minutes as suddenly as it had begun and when Mom came we drove to Cate’s. While Mom and I went in to look at dress material Helen went uptown to shop. She soon rejoined us. Mom got some pretty goods for two dresses and I got material for a halter and a skirt. While Mom was making some minor purchases Helen and I ran over to the library and I got “Little Men”; I have never read it. We espied George in the reading room and offered him a ride home. (Earl was there, too; I think he practically lives in the library.) He gladly accepted and we sat in the car and pestered each other till Mom came. The clouds had broken and there were bits of blue sky peaking through but it didn’t clear altogether. 

We stopped at Mrs. Wittacker’s again to leave the material and George tried his best to make Helen mad so we could have a good old-fashioned fuss, but Helen was in too congenial a mood and the poking and pulling only served to get her tickled beyond hope of arousing her anger. When we got home I said goodbye to Helen and reminded her to drop me a card. I sat on the porch and sorted doll clothes. George came over and begged me to eat supper with him but Mom’s no was final. He insisted, however, that I come over at 7:00 and read to him. Daddy came for dinner and we didn’t finish till nearly 7:00. At the supper table I displayed my old habit of resting my left elbow on the table. Mom and Dad violently objected and I was forced to withdraw it. I complained, “But, Daddy, I feel so unbalanced.” Dad replied, “You are unbalanced.” I got the implication and nearly died laughing.

No sign of George, who was to come and escort me over, so I settled down to read. Had not gotten far when George came to the door and invited me to Harvey’s to play Monopoly. Harvey rode ahead on his bicycle and George and I walked in the street. It was cloudy and lovely and I was in a very good humor. Once George called me “Patty” and I felt better than ever. I told him about the funny incident at the supper table. Mrs. Harvey greeted us at the door and we proceeded to the kitchen where the four of us played “Easy Money,” rather like “Monopoly.” Harvey had to be scolded by his mater a number of times. She didn’t really scold but sort of reproached him, which was very effective on sensitive Charles. We had ice tea and peanuts for refreshments. George got so tickled once that the tears actually streamed down his cheeks. It really wasn’t the time to laugh, though, and Mrs. Harvey “scolded” both boys. 

I did something I seldom do — laughed at my own joke. But the others just went into stitches and I joined them. The more we laughed the more funny it seemed. To explain: there was one piece of property that Harvey was considering buying which collected rent of ten times the number on the dice. He decided it would pay him well and he took it. George observed that it would be a real money-maker — ten times the number on the dice! I remarked, “Especially if the number is two.” Now can you tell me what is so very funny about that, Diary? Well, they evidently could see it ’cause they immediately burst into laughter — it was partly the look on Harvey’s face, of course. 

About 8:45 the telephone rang and I knew before Mrs. Harvey answered it that it was for me. George escorted me home. He thought I didn’t have a good time but I did! I admire Mrs. Harvey more now in fact. I don’t believe I admired her at all before. She is rather affected and inclined to pile the agony on, so to speak. But she’s a better disciplinarian than Mrs. McClure. In fact, I like her tactics better than Mother’s. 

After the dishes I was reading the paper when Mrs. Jones called to take advantage of my offer to look after the children. It’s for tomorrow night while she and Mr. Jones go to the wedding rehearsal. Mom and Dad go, too — also a buffet supper. By the way, we’ve been invited to Catherine’s wedding. Daddy is to sing.