Marcy S., age 17, Tennessee

Dear Diary — In some states this is Thanksgiving Day, but not in Tennessee. George’s school observes it this week, though, so George and “a guy” left Ben Lippon yesterday and were supposed to arrive on the 7:00 p.m. bus out at Shelley’s last night. Mother, Mrs. McClure and I drove out to meet them but “no soap.” Two buses came and stopped but no boys. Decided that they have missed connections in Knoxville. 

It was fun sitting in the car and waiting, though. We discussed various subjects, among them “Johnny” Winslow, whom I saw raking leaves and whistling on my home this afternoon. Needless to say, I nearly passed out. He is Mrs. Winslow’s 50-60-year-old son such a book-worm that he’s a bore, despite a sense of humor. In private his “Johnnie” to us; boasts that he hasn’t read an English book for five years. (French is his passion now) and gets up at midnight to listen to a news broadcast. A carload of soldiers stopped at the filling station and restaurant across the way and — well, there’s something about a uniform! About 7:30 we gave up and drove home. Mother blames Clure for the mix-up, ’cause she is so indefinite. I washed the dishes which Daddy had put to soak, and then read A Girl of the Limberlost till bedtime. No sign of the boys. Mother said that at 3:00 this morning she heard a car stop and a door slam and had her suspicions — sure enough, it was George and “the guy” arriving from Shelly’s in a taxi, having left Knoxville on the 12:30 bus. 

This morning we awoke to cloudy skies and rain, which was certainly welcome. I practiced with a vim, and could hardly wait to see George. Then, however, we weren’t even sure they had arrived. Went to school in the rain minus my “elephant’s feet” for the first time in my life. Mother and Daddy were concerned, however, that I would be in bed with pneumonia or something soon. No chapel, but Spelling exam. Then in Chemistry class Mr. Goddard returned yesterday’s test papers for us to look over. When he handed me mine with a grade of 98 on it he remarked, “That’s a pretty good grade for a ‘little girl.’” I certainly felt grand. [In margin: “Mary suggested that we take turns be week wearing the Friendship ring — she put it on my finger for a week.”] Then in English Mrs. Bunch gave out our exam papers, which we discussed. I made 94, next to the highest grade in the room. Then she discovered that she had made some mistakes which raised my grade to 95. We didn’t have time to recite the lines from Macbeth before the class (thank goodness!) so Mrs. Bunch appointed a captain in each row to whom everyone else the row was to say his lines some time before tomorrow morning. I was captain in our race. Marg. Louie said her twenty-eight lines (twenty-five required) to me before the bell rang and made two mistakes. Hence to Latin exam, which was wonderfully easy. In glorious mood. When Margaret and I finished we retired to the back of the room where I recited my sixty-five lines to her. When the first bell rang I got excited and said a “that” for a “which” — my only mistake. Yippee! It was still lovely and rainy at noon and William came for Mary, who invited us to be driven home, too. Helen sat in the front with Willie, as usual, with Mary and I in the back. We exchanged a few whispers, and driving up Cumberland Street with the almost bare trees on each side and a carpet of yellow leaves in the street was lovely. Mary expressed her love of days like this, and I dittoed it. We alighted in front of my house with thanks. Then Helen and I dashed in to see George but he and the “guy” had gone to town. Clure said the other boy was quite a bit older than George. We went home for dinner, planning to try again after school. I was in a glorious mood and Mother tried to calm me down. She doesn’t approve of a “depth” mood one day and a “height” mood the next. I try not to be moody, but sometimes I can’t help being up or down. It was lovely going back to school — not raining, just cloudy and breezy. The trees blown bare of leaves, looked so strange. One tree at the Yeargans’ still had an abundance of red and yellow leaves on its branches, but on the sidewalk was a carpet of red, yellow and green. I just wanted to stand there and gaze to my heart’s content. In history class we had time to work on our Monday’s assignment. Exam tomorrow. [In margin: “P.S. P.T.A. so we were excused at 2:45.” And below this: “In fifth study hall I listened to some more Macbeth recitations. One girl with twenty-eight lines made twenty-five mistakes!”] After school Helen and I took Barbara and went down again to see George, but his mother informed us that he was at town! So — Helen and Barbara went home and I went in to study. Mother was at P.T.A. — I called Mary twice but the line was busy. So I sat down with history to study till 4:30. About 3:30, however, just as we were winning the Revolution, I heard a loud and familiar noise next door and realized joyfully (?) that George was home.