Marcy S., age 20, Tennessee

Pop’s birthday — 51. Mum still heaving the hatchet — I wish she wouldn’t carry things like that over from day to day. Was sailing along fine with my deposition in morn when some old men and women from S. Harriman popped in and there we went on another case!! I had a quick vision of myself typing depositions the rest of the summer. Judge Stone and J. Cassell were present. One old fellow, toothless, barely spoke above a whisper and that at a dreadful rate. I had to run to keep up and Mr. H. had to keep slowing him down. Finished about 11:15 and Judge Stone gave me $5, asking if that would be sufficient. I didn’t know but said I’d ask Mr. H. One of the women seemed to think it was too much — she has to pay the costs, of course. Well, we left it like that. Mr. H. said I could go. He was in conference and forgot my check. I went to the Acme and got a cute card for Pop. Then went up by Kim’s to see if she were going tomorrow and found her talking to Mary on the ’phone. She turned it over to me and Mary and I discussed the picnic. It looked like rain but we were keeping our fingers crossed. Kim’s going tomorrow so I left in high spirits. Mum was thawing out and by dinner all was hunky-dory. Kim called to invite me to go to the carnival again with she and Mary but I had too much to do and had had enough carnival. I called Mary about the watermelon. Right after dinner I read my deposition notes. Jeepers! what a mess! Ironed and then sat in my bedroom and read some sermons that the Episcopal laymen use. Mary phoned Mum and they made plans in case of rain. It was starting to clear, though. Ashley was next door — I heard him talking over the ’phone once. I had a feeling that he was going away again. And presently he went out and sat on the front steps and I heard him put a heavy suitcase down. My heart hit a new low. Mum was out sweeping the sidewalk and I went to the front door and spoke a few words to her. Ashley cleared his throat. I had planned to bring Alice Ann down for awhile but it was nearly 4:30 then and so too late. I then got the book and sat out on the porch. Obvious, wasn’t it? Well, presently a car full of men drove up in front of Clure’s and Ashley went out and put his suitcase in the back. I gathered from what he said that he’d be gone 2 weeks. He sort of looked over once. Well, when the car drove away, I just sat there and contemplated on the general state of affairs — with a very dark outlook on the moment. I suppose I’m a completely hopeless case. I took a firm hold and went in to bath tub, where I drowned my sorrows. Mum was putting up our part of the lunch. A little after 5 I departed. It was clearing! Went to library and got another Wodehouse book. On up to dentist’s to find an office full. Somehow Wodehouse didn’t strike a responsive chord. About 6:30 the Dr. took me and put a permanent filling in the cavity. I’m to call him Monday for another appointment. As I was steering for the door Nancy Wallace hailed me with “Hi, Marcy, how are you?” I reproached her, “A fine thing to ask a person who has just come out of the dentist’s office!” The sky was lovely again and I walked up to Mary’s apartment. Horace greeted me very affectionately! 🙂 Mum and Pop had not arrived yet but soon Mum called to say they’d be right down. When they did arrive I went in the bathroom and changed into my shorts. Mary brought out a bra that was too large for her and it fitted me perfectly so I put it on. There goes $1.50 but it pays to buy good bras. Pop and Horace transferred various and sundry things from our car to theirs and about 7:15 we all piled in and started out to Swan Pond. Lovely drive. I sat up front with Mary and Horace. We drove out to where we went swimming Sunday and on out to a point of land that juts out in the water. There were some people already there but we went out to the very point and enjoyed comparative privacy. Spread out the picnic and proceeded to devour same. It was so lovely — banky, peach-tinted clouds, the reflection of the hills in the water and a great quiet. I tried to be happy but something was missing. Horace was funny and we all had a good time. Some men came in with a boat and proceeded to place an ingenious pair of wheels beneath it and roll it onto dry land. Horace knew one of the men — he looked rather like Ashley. Soon after Horace found a good-sized fish, still alive, at the edge of the lake and took it over to the men. It was almost dark by the time we finished. Horace did a neat job of backing out to the main road. We drove up by the house where the man who has the boats lived and got out all ready for a spin on the lake. But the man wasn’t home and his wife didn’t know which boat didn’t leak so we decided we’d better not risk it since it was dark. Had fun driving back. We stopped at the apartment. Mary cut some cheese for Mum and we all had some good spring water. Then we sat in the living room and talked. Horace and I on the love seat — tut, tut! And he waxed very affectionate once!! He’s so funny. He and Pop know a lot of people up at Jamestown and they reminisced. Mary wanted to have a game of Budgedegar but it was getting late and Pop had to prepare his “sermon” for tomorrow so about 10 we said “night” and departed. The stars were shining brightly. Mary and Kimmie didn’t go to the carnival this afternoon because it looked like rain. To bed about 11. Fun looking forward to tomorrow. Oh! I hope it doesn’t rain! If I weren’t so consumed with curiosity, I wouldn’t know that Ashley was gone and I’d still be happy!